With funding from the HMS Tools and Technology Committee, the Harvard NeuroDiscovery Center (HNDC) and the Harvard Stem Cell Institute (HSCI) we have a dedicated bioinformatics training program for:
- HMS researchers with a primary affiliation in one of the Basic and Social Science Departments on the Quad
- researchers with an affiliation with the HNDC
- HSCI researchers
In addition, we also teach short courses for Harvard Catalyst.
Please find a list of our various offerings below categorized by eligibility. If you would like to receive emails from us about training opportunities, please fill out this form.
For HSCI, HNDC and on-quad HMS researchers
November 20th - 21st, 2017: Introduction to RNA-seq using high-performance computing [Registration is now closed]
December 6th - 7th, 2017: Introduction to R [Registration is now closed]
For all researchers at Harvard University and affiliated institutions
We are excited to announce a new workshop series called “Current Topics in Bioinformatics”.
Each of these 2 to 3 hour, hands-on workshops are freestanding, but some of them will have prerequisites. They will be held monthly in the Longwood Medical Area at either HSPH or HMS. Please bring a laptop with R and RStudio installed to be able to follow along in class; for additional installation instructions for each class, please click on the links in the table below. The workshops are first-come-first-served and there is no registration process, so we encourage you to be punctual!
Fall 2017 schedule:
|Introduction to R & Visualizations with ggplot2||9/19/2017||2-4pm||HSPH, Building FXB, Room G11||None|
|Plotting and visualization in R using ggplot2 and other packages||10/17/2017||1-4pm||HSPH, Building FXB, Room G11||Beginner R or Intro R workshop|
|Functional analysis of gene lists||11/13/2017||1-4pm||TMEC, Room 328||Beginner R or Intro R workshop|
|Reproducible research using R (Rmarkdown: report generation)||12/11/2017||1-4pm||HSPH, Buliding FXB, Room G13||Beginner R or Intro R workshop|
For more detailed descriptions and access to class materials click here.
Harvard Catalyst Workshops
Introduction to Omics Research : An online course about the scope, analytical methods, & challenges of omics research. [Registration is now closed]
November 1st - 3rd, 2017: Introduction to R: Basics, Plots, and RNA-seq Differential Expression Analysis [Registration is now closed]
Training program description:
We provide bioinformatics training through both shorter workshops and in-depth courses. [Click here for a list of upcoming workshops/courses, or scroll down.]
Next Generation Sequencing Introduction Series
(Galaxy-based) workshops on RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq to introduce basic concepts of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) analysis. The goal of these workshops are to enable researchers to design their studies appropriately and perform preliminary data analyses.
Basic Bioinformatics Skills Series
Topics include R, data visualization using R, Python programming, Unix and high-performance computing (duration varies from half a day to three days).
2. In-Depth Next Generation Sequencing Analysis Courses
These intensive courses run for 10-12 days and are aimed at bench biologists interested in learning how to perform independent, best practice NGS-based analyses. Topics include:
- Unix & High-Performance Computing (Orchestra)
- NGS data analysis (RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, Variant calling)
- Statistical analysis using R
- Functional analysis
No prior NGS or command line expertise is required for our workshops or courses unless explicitly stated.
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] October 25th - 26th: Using DESeq2 for Differential Gene Expression
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] September 13th - 14th: Introduction to R
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] August 23rd - 24th: Introduction to RNA-seq using high-performance computing
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] May 31st - July 7th: In-depth NGS data analysis course
- [HNDC] April 20th: Introduction to R
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] April 3rd & 4th: Introduction to R
- [HSCI] March 6th & 7th: Introduction to UNIX and Orchestra with HMS-RC
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] February 15th: Introduction to Differential Gene Expression (DGE) analysis for RNA-Seq
- [TnT/HNDC] February 10th & 13th: Introduction to R
- [HSCI] January 24th & 25th: Introduction to R
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] October 31st - December 2nd: In-depth NGS data analysis course (RNA-Seq)
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] October 20th: Introduction to Differential Gene Expression (DGE) analysis for RNA-Seq
- [TnT/HNDC] September 29th & 30th: Introduction to R
- [HSCI] September 8th & 9th: Introduction to R
- [HSCI] August 22nd & 23rd: Introduction to UNIX and Orchestra with HMS-RC
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] June 22nd - August 12th: In-depth NGS data analysis course
- [HSCI] May 23rd & 24th: Introduction to UNIX and Orchestra with HMS-RC
- [TnT/HNDC] May 12th & 12th: Introduction to UNIX and Orchestra with HMS-RC
- [HSCI/TnT/HNDC] February 8th - March 8th: In-depth NGS data analysis course
- [HSCI] December 11th: Introduction to R
- [HSCI] November 13th: *RNA-Seq with Galaxy**
- [TnT/HNDC] November 23rd: RNA-Seq with Galaxy
- [TnT/HNDC] October 8th & 9th: Introduction to UNIX and Orchestra with HMS-RC
- [TnT/HNDC] October 2nd: RNA-Seq with Galaxy
- [TnT/HNDC] September 21st: RNA-Seq with Galaxy
- [TnT/HNDC] September 11th: ChIP-Seq with Galaxy
- [TnT/HNDC] August 14th: RNA-Seq with Galaxy
- [TnT/HNDC] July 22nd: A Hands-on Introduction to Python (in collaboration with IQSS)
- [TnT/HNDC] July 17th: RNA-Seq with Galaxy
- [TnT/HNDC] June 26th: Introduction to R and R graphics with ggplot2 (in collaboration with IQSS)
For any training-related questions, please email us at email@example.com.