Bioinformatics Trainer and Analyst Position
School: Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health, Boston, MA
This will be a remote (telework) position until the end of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who are we looking for?
The Harvard Chan Bioinformatics Core is excited to expand our bioinformatics training program as part of a new collaboration with the Dana-Farber / Harvard Cancer Center (DF/HCC). We are looking for a bioinformatician to join our team in our efforts to provide education and analytical support to the Harvard community. The ideal candidate is someone who:
- is enthusiastic about teaching (as demonstrated by their teaching experience)
- enjoys working in a collaborative environment
- has a background in data analysis, specifically for high-throughput sequencing (HTS) data
This role provides a unique and rewarding opportunity to help determine the future direction of the training program, while training and supporting world-class researchers, and helping to make a profound impact on human health.
What will you be doing?
The majority of your time will be dedicated to your role as a member of the training team. In this role, you will:
- Help teach workshops and courses (i.e. basic data skills, HTS analysis) geared towards graduate students, postdocs, research staff and faculty from the greater Harvard community
- Develop and maintain workshop content based on the latest best practices
- Assist with organizational tasks related to training activities
- Be fully involved in determining the future direction of the training program
As a member of the HBC you will also be providing analysis support to researchers at Harvard and in the broader Boston biomedical community. In this role, you will:
- Support selected research projects by analyzing high-throughput data with best practice approaches used in the Core, assessing new methods where appropriate
- Document all work thoroughly, and provide clear, manuscript-level reports of analyses and results
- Be responsible for good data management of your projects
- Participate in Core meetings, liaise with collaborating researchers, and participate in developing manuscripts for publication (when the opportunity presents)
- Doctoral degree in the biomedical sciences (e.g. molecular biology, cancer biology, biostatistics, computational biology, bioinformatics, etc.)
- At least 2 years experience performing HTS analyses as the lead analyst
- Teaching experience (courses or workshops)
- Excellent written and spoken English
Programming and data skills
- Knowledge of shell and high-performance computing
- Knowledge of R or Python
Experience in at least one of the following HTS domains:
- Whole genome sequencing
- RNA-seq (bulk/single-cell)
- ChIP-seq or ATAC-seq
- Other sequencing applications
- Proven ability to interpret and analyze large data sets and present results
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Post-doctoral experience
- Experience training researchers to perform HTS data analysis
- Biostatistics expertise
- Cancer research experience
- Experience applying HTS to Cancer research
- Interest in development of bioinformatics pipelines
- Experience interacting with clients and/or collaborators
Position is flexible, and can be tailored to a more senior role for applicants with appropriate expertise.
The Harvard Chan Bioinformatics Core (HBC) is a team of skilled and personable bioinformaticians. We are a central resource for bioinformatics research, services and training at Harvard and across the Boston biomedical community. We work closely with biomedical scientists to develop and execute innovative workflows to analyze, interpret, visualize and distribute scientific discoveries derived from the analysis of high-throughput data.
As a team, we embrace an open source approach to computing and training. We use and teach open source tools and contribute to the development of open source projects; our training materials are freely available on GitHub (https://hbctraining.github.io/main). In line with this community approach, the HBC emphasizes teamwork, collaboration and provides a supportive environment where team members can learn from each other. We are enthusiastically recruiting bioinformaticians who are junior and looking to learn and gain experience, as well as, more senior researchers who are looking to lead projects and analyses and/or manage and mentor junior researchers.
We offer competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience
How do I apply?
To apply Click Here!
Email hbctraining (at) hsph.harvard.edu for more information
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.